Sore gums? Loose teeth? Mouth infections? Bad Breath? Read on to discover how to both prevent and/or handle these problems naturally. One question I get a lot is what shall I do about bacterial gum issues, loose teeth, tooth ache, etc. I’d like to share my protocols that have worked for me and others.
1. Be sure you are using a natural toothpaste; that means avoid ingredients such as sodium laurel sulfate and fluoride. Does this warning on the Colgate label sound safe to you? “USA Warning Label: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or call the Poison Control Center right away.”
It is easy to make your own if you can’t find one. Here are 2 recipes I have used successfully.
1 tsp fine sea salt
2-3 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup organic coconut oil
1-2 tsp arrowroot powder (to thicken, optional)
Mix and store in a cool place.
1/2 cup coconut oil
2-3 TBSP Baking Soda
Xylitol to taste (natural germ fighter)
10-20 drops peppermint essential oil (or cinnamon)
5-10 drops myrrh essential oil
A good natural mouthwash is available, and they make natural toothpaste and other products, called TOOTH and GUMS TONIC. It is available online and from natural dental offices.
2. Sore Gums: The first line of defense is to ensure that you floss with a C motion. dip your floss in peroxide and floss below the gums. then use plain baking soda mixed with peroxide to make a paste and brush, massaging the sore gum.
3. Gum Infection or pockets: this calls for even more! An herbal Tooth Tonic Recipe is stronger than a rinse and should be applied to the failing tooth’s gum line two times a day; at the same time make sure that the mouth is rinsed after any food. A tooth tonic should include echinacea, myrrh and goldenseal, or some similar combination.
4. Loose teeth: Remember that each tooth follows a meridian pathway, so any loose tooth might also indicate another health issue. The tooth tonic helps with loose teeth, but a tincture or poultice of White Oak Bark, which is very astringent, will be most helpful in saving the tooth and correcting the other issues in the body as well.
5. Mouth sores or ulcers: Use organic, plain yogurt or keifer. Swish in the mouth and hold for about 2-3 minutes. the good bacteria will help to restore the balance of acid/alkaline in the mouth.
6. Daily maintenance: Use the natural tooth paste after oil pulling for at least 3 minutes. Good oils to use are sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil.
There is an old saying: He who lives to be 100 has all of his/her teeth…or none of them. Keep the whole body healthy by keeping the mouth HEALTHY!